Finding the Right Lens to Suit Your Everyday Needs
At Optical World we understand that everyone is unique. That’s why our staff strongly believe in prescribing optical lenses to suit your individual requirements. Choosing the perfect lens shouldn’t be a daunting task, especially at Optical World where our experienced optometrists and dispensers can talk you through the various lens options available to you.
At Optical World Elsternwick and Ashburton we believe in taking the time to get to know you better. Following your BULK BILLED EYE TEST we will ask you a few questions pertaining to your lifestyle, hobbies/interests and employment. It is through these conversations that our staff are able to steer you in the right direction towards choosing a lens you will be ultimately satisfied with.
Depending on your lens prescription, there are several lens types to choose from:
- The most common lenses prescribed are SINGLE VISION LENSES. These lenses are a set focal power that provide correction for near, distance or intermediate vision.
- The second most commonly prescribed lenses are MULTIFOCALS (also known as Progressives). This lens is often custom-made specific to your individual prescription and contains two or more lens powers in the one lens. Multifocal lenses are often prescribed to treat presbyopia, allowing an easy transition from far, to intermediate, to your full reading power.
- BIFOCAL LENSES are similar to Multifocals, however they have a distinct line to divide the distance portion of the lens from the near.
- COMPUTER and/or OFFICE LENSES are beneficial for those individuals that work in an office or spend a lot of time in front of the computer. They are a type of progressive lens that optimises both your intermediate and near vision. As a computer screen is often positioned approximately 60-70cm from the user’s eye the extended focus found in a computer lens avoids eye strain associated with long-term computer use.
- PRESCRIPTION SUNGLASSES are great for those individuals that love the outdoors. Lenses can be tinted to any colour or shade, and can be polarised upon request. A tint can be applied to any prescription lens and meets all Australian Cancer Council standards in blocking harmful UV radiation.
In addition to choosing the right lens to suit your everyday needs, additional extras can be applied to the surface of your lens. These include;
- An Anti-Reflective Coating, which not only reduces glare but fights fingerprints, dust and resists scratches. Optical World highly recommends that this coating be applied to all lenses.
- A Blue Light Coating, which is great for heavy users of computers, smart phones and tablets. The long-term effects of blue light can be quite damaging to the eye, however our blue light coating offers comprehensive protection from screens and digital devices in addition to having in-built UV protection.
- Transitions, which are the most versatile of all the optical extras available. They make a wonderful addition to any lens, and are activated by UV which makes your lenses clear indoors, lightly tinted when outside on an overcast day and darker on hot, sunny days when you require the ultimate UV protection. Optical World highly recommends that transitions be applied to multifocals and/or distance lenses. Our Transitions are available in Grey, Brown and Graphite Green tints.
Let us help you choose the perfect lens today. Now is the best time to book your fully BULK BILLED EYE TEST at Optical World. We boast one of the largest range of frames in Melbourne and can’t be beaten on value for money. Call us or book an appointment online today!
Check Yearly, See Clearly.
Optical World Elsternwick – 343 Glen Huntly Rd, Elsternwick VIC 3185
(03) 9532 8033
Optical World Ashburton – 214 High St, Ashburton VIC 3147
(03) 9885 6257
13 Feb, 2017